Administrative Assistant to the President (Part-time)
The part-time administrative assistant to the president provides comprehensive administrative support to the president as well as operational support for a variety of museum programs and events. She/he works cooperatively with the president, staff, and trustees to accomplish the strategic goals of the museum.
This position is part-time (20-25 hours/week).
Duties and responsibilities:
- Manage the president’s calendar, scheduling appointments and travel.
- Work closely and effectively with the president to keep him/her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities.
- Research, attend to, and follow up on issues and concerns addressed to the president, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature.
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handle matters expeditiously, proactively, and follow through on projects to successful completion.
- Communicate directly, and on behalf of the president, with staff, trustees, and others on matters related to the president’s initiatives and museum programs.
- Review, proofread, edit, and compose documents.
- Develop and implement systems and procedures to ensure productive and efficient office operations, including negotiating contracts for equipment leases, managing the president's calendar and coordinating complex schedules with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Coordinate ongoing updates to the strategic plan.
- Purchase office supplies and maintain office equipment.
- Answer and direct phone calls, mail, and email messages and disseminate information as requested.
- Contribute to the overall success of the museum by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Coordinate meeting materials and logistics for board meetings and events
- Take accurate and detailed minutes during board meetings
- Maintain board governance documents and directories; help to ensure compliance with the bylaws and applicable policies
- Compile monthly department reports and send to trustees prior to meetings
- Work with the president, National Council chair, and director of development to plan bi-annual (spring and fall) meetings of the National Council.
- Coordinate monthly staff meetings and monthly staff birthday celebrations.
- Coordinate president-initiated one-time events that do not qualify as “SBM Signature Events” or department-led events (e.g., exhibit opening receptions).
- Experience providing high-level administrative support
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple priorities with high attention to detail
- Ability to use initiative, work independently, and use good judgement
- Flexible and adaptable to changing activities and work loads
- Strong computer skills
Hours & Benefits:
- SBM is a flexible work environment, respectful of the work/life balance. Some evening and weekend work is required for meetings and events.
- Paid time off includes vacation, sick, and personal days (quantity depends on number of hours worked/week), as well as holidays that fall on regularly scheduled work days.
- All year-round Strawbery Banke staff members are expected to work a number of signature events over the course of the year, paid on an hourly basis for all nonexempt staff. Signups will be conducted in advance by the special events manager.
- Flexible Spending Account for health expenses
- Strawbery Banke Museum membership benefits
About Strawbery Banke Museum:
Strawbery Banke Museum is a 10-acre living history museum located in the heart of downtown Portsmouth. The museum interprets daily life in the same historic waterfront neighborhood over 300+ years, making the 37 historic buildings accessible to a wide range of visitors one of our primary goals. Strawbery Banke hosts an ever-growing number of special events and programs throughout the year. Seasonal and holiday signature events are time-honored traditions that help make Portsmouth the vibrant destination it is. Strawbery Banke is continually ranked as TripAdvisor’s #1 “Thing to do in Portsmouth” and Yankee Magazine Editors’ Choice: Best of New England Classics “Best Historic Village.”
Strawbery Banke Museum:
- A place to learn,
- A place to gather,
- A sustainable cultural resource for the community
Application Instructions:For consideration, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please reference the job title in the subject line.