Historical Roleplayer: Shapiro House
Status: Seasonal (April – December), Part-Time (hours vary; weekend work required), Hourly (Nonexempt). Annual training (paid) required.
Compensation: $9.00/hour, paid bi-weekly
Portray a member of the historic Russian-Jewish Shapiro household through costumed first-person interpretation. Using Strawbery Banke’s buildings, collections, landscapes and written resources, promote the Museum’s mission to share the ongoing history of a seaport neighborhood, celebrating the lives of ordinary individuals and the value of community by helping museum visitors engage with the past.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Interpret the life of a Russian-Jewish immigrant in 20th century New Hampshire
- Interact with visitors of all ages, interests, abilities and backgrounds to bring about new understandings of history and themselves
- Use a variety of approaches to communicate historical information, including but not limited to: conversation/dialogue, description, discussion, inquiry and presentation of evidence
- Uphold the mission of Strawbery Banke Museum and help implement its Long Range Interpretive Plan
- Provide excellent customer service and relations to deliver an outstanding visitor experience
- Help to ensure the welfare and safety of visitors and the security of collections
- Maintain a professional demeanor; comply with stated personnel policies, cultivate good relations with colleagues; and represent the Museum in a positive light
- Work punctually on a tightly timed schedule
- Participate in annual and ongoing training to build professional knowledge in historical content, interpretive techniques, and educational theory
- Bachelor of Arts degree; coursework in history, art history, museum studies, anthropology, or education preferred; - or - Combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates equivalent proficiency
- Knowledge of and interest in Jewish religious and cultural history
- Excellent public speaking skills and interpersonal abilities, acting or theater background a plu
- Ability to work enthusiastically with audiences of all ages, abilities, and cultural background
- Ability to read, remember, and transmit accurate content according to interpretive goals
- Sound judgment in response to challenging situationsPositive attitude and ability to build respectful working relationships
Weekend work is required. Work is performed indoors and out, in locations that may be hot, cold, dusty, or drafty.
Physical stamina sufficient to maintain an attentive posture for several hours, to respond quickly to visitors’ needs, and to otherwise fulfill the requirements of assigned tasks is needed. Sufficient mobility is required to traverse uneven grounds and dirt roads on a timed schedule, to use steps and/or ramps, and in some assignments, to lift, carry, and use objects such as cooking equipment, garden tools, etc.