Springer’s Jewelers Celebrates 150 Years
The year was 1870. The same year the 15th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which gave the right to vote to black males, became law; and the year the novelist Charles Dickens and Confederate general in the Civil War Robert E. Lee died. This was also the year George T. Springer’s founded Springer’s Jewelers in nearby Saccarappa, Maine (now Westbrook, Maine), selling a wide range of optical goods, stationery, and artists materials, "fancy goods," and of course, fine jewelry.
By the turn of the century, the company had moved from nearby Saccarappa to 515 Congress, wherein 1925 Edmond Beaulieu Sr. acquired the store, and it has been operated by the Beaulieu family ever since.
In 1947 Ed Beaulieu Jr. joined his father in the business and Springer's moved to its current site at 580 Congress near the intersection with Forest Avenue. Richard Beaulieu took over the business from his father in 1988 and has since welcomed Lilly Beaulieu Mullen and Zoe Beaulieu, the fourth generation, to the company.
A lot has changed in 150 years, but a lot hasn’t. Springer’s is still a family-owned business, but their fourth-generation is entirely led by women. They no longer sell underwear (as they did in 1870), but they still have the most dazzling diamonds around.
Springer’s is Maine’s oldest operating jewelry store and is one of the oldest fine jewelers in the United States.
Springer’s LocationsIn addition to Springer’s flagship store in Portland, Maine, Springer’s Jewelers selection of the finest luxury jewelry can also be found at sister stores located on the waterfronts of Bath, Maine and Portsmouth, NH.
Springer's Bath store, located in the historic downtown, dates to 1879 and originally was called A.G. Page Co. Purchased in 1932 by Massachusetts entrepreneur Frank Freeman, Springer's acquired it in 1979. This treasure of the mid-coast appears today as it did in 1870's with its original storefront, mahogany cabinets installed by the Page family, a 14-foot high ceiling, a checkerboard marble floor, and classic hanging brass lamps over the floor cases.
The company purchased the Portsmouth location in 1971 from the widow of Herman Page, who'd been one of the first certified gemologists in New England. Springer's-Portsmouth was located at the Vaughan Street Mall for nearly 30 years before relocating in 2000 to 100 Market Street, an upscale, five-story building on the corner of Market and Hanover Street in the heart of downtown Portsmouth.
For information, visit www.springersjewelers.com.