Portsmouth Advocates Awards Night Honors City Preservation Projects
PORTSMOUTH -- Portsmouth Advocates, a key program of the Portsmouth Historical Society, is preparing for awards season! Since 1989 Portsmouth Advocates has honored individuals and projects that enhance the city’s unique historic character and make Portsmouth a better place to live and work. On Thursday, Nov. 15 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at Discover Portsmouth, the Advocates will continue this tradition by presenting awards to exceptional individuals and projects completed over the last year.
Project-specific awards include the following:
- Restoring the Integrity of a Resource: Historic New England for Jackson House
- Continued and Sensitive Maintenance of a Historic Property: Northeast Auctions for Treadwell Mansion and Ayer House
- Rehabilitation of a Historic Resource: Amanda and Jay McSharry for the Sailmaker’s House; Pontine Theater for the Plains School; and Chinburg Builders for Frank Jones Brew Yard
- Arthur J. Gerrier Memorial Award, which is presented to an individual who is committed to serving our historic community. Arthur Gerrier was a member of the Portsmouth Advocates Board and an outstanding architectural historian: Ellen Marlatt
- John Grossman Memorial Award, which recognizes an individual who makes a reality of an organization's mission and bridging the theoretical and the practical. John Grossman was a tireless supporter of Portsmouth non-profits and Chair of Portsmouth Advocates for many years: Richard Candee
Formed in 1980, Portsmouth Advocates was established to “promote the maintenance of the historical and architectural integrity of the structures and cityscape of the City of Portsmouth.” In 2012 Portsmouth Advocates became part of Portsmouth Historical Society.
Portsmouth Historical Society, is a tax-exempt 501(c)3 nonprofit that operates Discover Portsmouth, a facility housing exhibition galleries, a welcome center and museum shop, and the John Paul Jones House Museum and Garden, both in downtown Portsmouth. Both locations are open seasonally, seven days a week. Discover Portsmouth is located at 10 Middle St.; the John Paul Jones House Museum and Garden is located across the street at 43 Middle St., Portsmouth. For information, call 603-436-8433 or visit www.portsmouthhistory.org
SHOWN IN PHOTOGRAPH: 2017 Portsmouth Advocates Awards Recipients.