Best Buddies International is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to establishing a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, leadership development, and inclusive living for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD).
Best Buddies is the world’s largest organization dedicated to ending the social, physical and economic isolation of the 200 million people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). Our programs empower the special abilities of people with IDD by helping them form meaningful friendships with their peers, secure successful jobs, live independently, improve public speaking, self-advocacy, and communication skills, and feel valued by society.
Job Title: Deputy Director, Communications and Stewardship (State Office)
Department: State Operations and Programs
Reports to: State Director
# of direct reports: none
Salary: $42,000 - $51,000
Position overview: The manager, communications and stewardship is primarily responsible for developing the communications and awareness plans for Programs and Fundraising throughout the state, including Friendship Walk, Champion of the Year, and Gala events. The goals associated with this position are to create brand and mission awareness as well as supporting fundraising efforts through thoughtful communication plans and calls to action.
Job Requirement – Qualified applicants must have:
- Bachelor’s degree or minimum 1-3 years relevant experience in general fundraising administration and planning and external communications including email, social media, and mail.
- Strong project/time management skills - including planning, analysis, attention to detail, problem solving, and ability to effectively multitask
- Strong persuasive writing and presentation skills with the ability to exert influence, inspire others, and articulate the mission, goals, and activities of Best Buddies with passion and enthusiasm
- Ability to provide quality results under pressure and strict deadlines
- Proficiency managing multiple digital platforms, including content management systems, email marketing software, and social media tools
- Basic photography and photo editing skills
- Ability to shoot and edit video using a digital camera and video editing software
- Ability to write and distribute a press release to targeted members of the media
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office, and familiarity/comfort with database management systems (i.e. Raisers Edge, Salesforce)
- Initiative, dependability, drive for results, and self-assessment skills
- Must be adaptable and able to quickly and effectively develop and balance multiple relationships, and get results from a variety of people
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Must be comfortable engaging with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) and working with them in a supporting role
- Must be comfortable with frequent travel throughout the state, use personal cell phone, and work evenings and weekends as necessary in order to accomplish job responsibilities
Job Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Supports the director, programs on the statewide planning and standardization of program events and volunteer training with a focus on logistics and processes
- Ensures that program participants and staff are appropriately integrated into regional fundraising/awareness efforts and collaborates with program staff to ensure that grant communications are highlighting local program efforts
- Work with the director, programs to develop and facilitate statewide leadership training materials for volunteers
- Ensure mission advancement and participation in all Best Buddies initiatives.
- Collaborate with state staff to develop materials for expansion of programs and engagement of participants, parents, employers, etc.
- Responsible for supporting development staff on special event logistics including but not limited to: publicity, event experience, database reports, communication, volunteer engagement, show flow, auction set up and preparation, etc.
- Assist in securing, where applicable, statewide partnerships for in kind donations such as food, beverage, gift bag items and silent/live auction items
- Work with staff to ensure compliance with donor relations “best practices,” including acknowledgements and special recognition
- Write copy for solicitation pieces, sponsorship decks, event marketing materials, and program resources
- Directly oversee fund development campaigns for Giving Tuesday and End of Year Appeal
- Assist in creating standardized calendar and timeline of programmatic and event activations including kickoffs, incentives, and communications.
- Develops a comprehensive regional public awareness strategy, and works with local staff on its implementation
- Creates a strong presence for Best Buddies statewide through public speaking, community involvement, public service announcements, social media campaigns, news releases, and other media initiatives
- Oversees organization of local content and images for updates to state website
- Oversees creation and distribution of local annual reports and e-newsletters
- Develops and manages an annual communication and marketing plan through emails, social media, and direct mail campaign
- Increases social media fans, followers, and overall virtual community engagement
- Build and maintain relationships with local media
- Develops content for print and electronic promotional materials, event and program materials, including decks and slideshow presentations
- Take/edit photos, record video, capture testimonials, live stream events
- Ensures that donors and sponsors are highlighted on the appropriate event, state, and national websites and in state e-newsletters
- Stay current with trends and best practices related to communications and marketing in the nonprofit sector
- Maintains communication with State Director/Area Director with timely reports, quarterly goals, and other information as directed
Best Buddies® is an affirmative action employer, in addition to an EOE and M/F/V/PWD/PV employer. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are foundational to Best Buddies International’s core values and help the organization continue to achieve its mission. Here at Best Buddies, our goal is to lead and advocate for a more inclusive world.
Best Buddies offers a comprehensive and generous benefits programs that include financial security, health and wellness and time off.